I've been reading the book How Babies Talk. The authors are specialists in infant language development. One stage of development for children 18 - 24 months is the "language explosion." When they've reached a vocabulary of around fifty words, their speech takes off. Since starting to talk at around twelve months, it may have taken them six or nine months to acquire fifty words. But after the language explosion they can learn up to thirty words a day.
Malcolm's words so far:
Malcolm's words so far:
- Mommy
- Daddy
- Ball
- Balloon
- Baby
- Shoe
- Sock
- Elmo
- Eat
- Milk
- "All done"
- Book
- Hi
- Bye
- More
- Crackers
- Toast
- Water
- Night-night
- Outside
- No
- Yeah
- Show (as in TV show)
- Jack (as in Jack's Big Music Show)
- Berry (as in "strawberry")
- Teeth
- Nose
- Fish
- Fan
- Bike
- Natalie
- Tucker
- "Oh, man!" (Like Swiper on Dora the Explorer)
- Waffle
- Slide
Do animal sounds count? He seems to use them as the name for those animals. If so, then add ten animals sounds to the total. (Actually, add twelve, because a Lion says "Roar!" and a Monkey says "Oooo-ooo-ooo!")
We're getting close.
(P.S. I started writing this post April 27, but kept adding words until I decided I just needed to go ahead an publish it or I'd be adding words for the rest of his life!)
(P.S. I started writing this post April 27, but kept adding words until I decided I just needed to go ahead an publish it or I'd be adding words for the rest of his life!)
No comments:
Post a Comment